Buying a manufactured home works a little differently than buying a typical site-built home. Here’s everything you need to know before getting started.
Choosing a Home
- Find a home center that sells NXT homes. Click here to find your nearest NXT home center.
- Next, walk through NXT home models at your nearest home center, or, come tour all NXT models at our Clayton Athens building facility.
- Before you tour NXT homes in-person, have a good idea of:
- How many bedrooms you need or want
- Whether you want walk-in closets in your secondary bedrooms
- The maximum home size allowed on the land where the home will be sited
- Whether you want a separate living room and den
Buying Your Home
- Before buying a manufactured home, you’ll want to secure the property or land where you’ll be living, then have a contractor perform a property assessment. If you don’t own land, your home consultant can help you work with a local real estate agent to find the perfect property for your new home.
- Next, if you are financing your home purchase, you’ll select a lender and complete the loan application process. This means submitting a loan application and any other required financial information to the lender(s) you choose.
- Then, you can begin applying for septic and building permits. The permits you need will vary by home location, and your home consultant can help you understand exactly which ones you need. This is a great way to use the time while you wait for your conditional loan details if you’re financing your home.
- Once you receive loan approval, if needed, your home consultant will discuss the final home price with you. After agreeing to a sales price, you’ll sign your purchase and sales agreement and typically be required to put down a deposit on your new home.
- Either your lender or home center will arrange the loan closing process. Once closing takes place, and you’ll be one step closer to a new front door key.
- To see a budgeting worksheet, videos and read more detailed information about this process, click here.
Build & Installation
- Once your home is built in our Clayton Athens facility, on-site installation and construction will get under way.
- Your new home is delivered to your home site.
- Installation construction crews complete the on-site construction of your new home directly on your home site.
- Once finished, you’ll do a final walk through of your home with either your home consultant or another representative from your home center.
- During your final walk through, you’ll make sure everything is complete and in working order before you move in.
- Lastly, you’ll receive a home owner’s information packet, along with your appliance owner manuals.
Living in Your Home
Maintaining Your Home
- Like any home, your NXT home will need routine maintenance and cleaning. The quality brand appliances and finishes we use are the same as those used in homes all across America, so typical cleaning products will work just fine. No need to treat your home any differently. Review your home owner’s manual for information about home maintenance.
- Change your air filter monthly or as-needed.
- Change your smoke detector batteries every six months.
- Clean your vinyl siding annually or as-needed.
Warranty-Related Home Repair Requests
- We work hard to make sure your home is built with care and excellence. If you do find issues or defects, we’ll do everything we can to make it right.
- To make a warranty-related repair request for your home, call the home center where you bought your home. Our friendly home consultants can help you file a repair request. Simply tell them what you need, and depending on the request and limitations of your warranty, they’ll guide you to what’s next. If your service request is an emergency, it will be addressed as quickly as possible.